Sunday 31 May 2015

Animal updates

We've been up to quite a lot in the last couple of weeks, but I've been feeling lazy about writing so I've decided to do it in little chunks.

First, a few things from back in Arizona. I have a pretty photo of a hummingbird from the feeder at the Dome in Sedona (thanks to Ute!):


I forgot to mention that one of the hummingbirds accidentally flew into the dome (we had a habit of leaving the patio door open). The poor thing was disoriented and went up to the skylight window and tried to get out there. The window was much too high for us to reach, so we put the feeder on a pole and tried to tempt it down with that....which didn't work. However, after a few minutes the bird was exhausted and landed on the ground. Chad carefully approached it to catch it and release it outside, but it recovered enough to fly out on its own.
Luke and I have seen countless hummingbirds in the last month. We must have been following them along their migration route. My favourite is when they sound like they are blowing tiny coach's whistles as they fly around. I also love watching them dive bomb. A couple took a particular interest in my bike too :)
Next is a sweet photo Luke took of Ute and Steveo when up on Mount Lemmon in Tucson:


On that same ride they saw a couple of gila monsters!!!! One of them pretended to start leaving, then turned around and hissed aggressively at Ute. So bad ass.


And the last photo is of the javelina that we finally saw (thanks to Steveo for the photo!)


One more animal story. When we were biking on Gooseberry Mesa we came across a diamondback rattle snake (a young one, without a rattle yet) on the trail. Luckily it was asleep. It was so asleep that I was worried it was dead, so Luke got a long stick and gently prodded it. It woke up and slithered off. I felt a bit bad for disturbing it, but since it was on the trail and sort of looked like a stick at least it wouldn't get run over.

Next time I'll finish off Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment