Sunday 8 June 2014

More Yellowstone...and more!

It's been a few days since posting, so I have a bit of catching up to do!

I forgot to include this in the first post: This is one of the handouts they gave us at the gate:


While in Yellowstone, we checked out some of the small caldaras and mud volcanos that spew sulfur gas and boil the water and mud within them.


Here's a shot of the beautiful river and colours in the rocks in one of the canyons.


And here's a happy me across the way from Luke at the look-out point for the canyon.


A lovely shot of the Lower Falls.


And just in case you think that all we saw were bison, here's an elk having a snack by the roadside.


Probably my favourite part of Yellowstone was when we got to the southern part of the park (past the loop where all the famous stuff is). There's still a lot of snow higher up in the mountains at that time of year and as the road climbed high we ended up in a section where the snow was still over a meter high (although the road was nicely plowed). There was a fantastic raging river up there too and I wish I had taken a photo...but we were running out of daylight and had to get to a campsite.

We stayed in the Grand Teton National Park, which has a picturesque mountain chain. I was photoed out at this time, so here's an internet photo if you care to see what I mean:

http://www.globeimages.net/img-grand-teton-national-park-photo-us-7867.htm

Next stop: Jackson Wyoming

1 comment:

  1. Grand Tetons can be really tiring. Yes - this has been the obligatory Teton comment.

    ReplyDelete